Author Topic: Post of the Month - March 2021  (Read 2161 times)

Tess tLhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au, ciccino
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Post of the Month - March 2021
« on: April 11, 2021, 01:18:34 pm »
Dear community of the 10th Fleet!

It is my honor to give out the very first POTM Award. Every month we look for exceptionally well written posts to then deal with the worthwhile but difficult task to pick one winner among the great writers we have the fortune to rp with.

For last month's POTM the admins have voted for Amalthea's Ensign Mas Molane and his post that was so full of remarkable and memorable metaphors for the different Federation ships currently in the Gamma Quadrant.

Congratulations, Mas!

I will attach the post for everyone to enjoy once again.

~ Tess

USS Amalthea, Briefing Room

Mas was stuffing a large tuleberry muffin in his mouth when the Captain, and then XO appeared.  He stood, trying to rapidly chew the oversized baked-good while mumbling an incoherent greeting.  When he got through that embarrassing moment and finally took a seat, he glanced sheepishly at Padrini, as though the man might commiserate in the Lurian's embarrassment.  Then the Captain spoke to him.  The only thing more unexpected than that, was what she had to say.

"Little?!" he blurted out the word as though he was regarding a venomous insect, but quickly composed himself.  "Um... Yes, Sir.  A very nice ship.  Much nicer than the Aquila we trained on at the Academy."

Working on this ship after the Aquila was like working on a Majestic class Lurian cruiser after training on one of the old Arrow Class frigates. 

"But you used to command a New Orleans class, didn't you, Sir" he asked, remembering stories he'd heard at the Academy.  The antics of Katra officers were a frequent subject of gossip among the cadets there, who hoped to emulate these frontier heroes one day.

"So, you know the feeling... 

The Amalthea is entering maturity, with all the early adolescent difficulties ended.  She is ready for a serious career, and more meaningful relationships. 

The Healy... she must have been more like a thirty-something career-woman and mother, experienced and capable, but no longer as nimble as when she was a college kid. 

The Aquila... I loved that ship, but she was more like an older retired woman who took up hiking as a hobby.  Still physically fit, and with a lifetime of experience.  But she can only fondly remember her peak years.  She gets rejuvenation treatments, and replacement organs, but some of the creaks and pains of advanced age can no longer be remedied.  She is in the autumn of life."

It only occurred to Mas after he'd spoken, that perhaps this was a bad analogy to share with a Ba'ku, who could live hundreds or thousands of years.  Had he just insulted her?

In any event, the mission briefing soon began. 

Mas took notes and listened with interest about the Atrosian bio-ships.  Fascinating engineering that required both advanced mechanical and biological sciences.  At the Academy, some classes had touched briefly on these emerging developments, but they hadn't gone into very much detail.  The range of their drive systems was as impressive as their biotech know-how.

"Sir... Are we prepared to give them any Federation technology in trade for their own?  If so, is there anything I should prepare for delivery to them?  Demonstration Pieces?  Schematics?  Technical Journals?"

It seemed to Mas that even if the Atrosians hadn't disliked the Federation, they would still demand a great deal for the secrets of their FTL technology.  If it was, in fact, negotiable at any price.
Species: Ba'ku
"You explore the universe. We've found that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself."
Tess' biography

Mas Molane

• Reserved Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
Re: Post of the Month - March 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 01:28:08 pm »
Thank you, most kind.   Though I'd like to tip my hat towards fellow nominees who produced their own memorable material which I enjoyed reading.  :-)

Awarded to the player who has written the Post of the Month in March 2021

Rayek tr'Lhoell

• Site Administrators
  • I-jol au e'lev
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 03:06:42 pm »
Congratulations!  An excellent post.  I loved reading it.
Mrht Heis'he ehl'ein qiuu
Rayek's BIO : Romulan male. 6'1" (1.8m)
NPC's Lt JG Saqa7 Mountain-Kahn (Human Female) / Ensign Jayce Fuller (Human Hermaphrodite) / Telmuk tr'Lhoell (Romulan Male)

Beja

• Reserved Player
  • Beja's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 11:05:06 pm »
Great job! I enjoy reading Mas's posts!

John Saxon

• Reserved Player
  • Competent Member
  • John Saxon's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 02:07:41 am »
Wonderful! Congratulations, Mister Molan-

Quote from: Mas Molane
"Still physically fit, and with a lifetime of experience.  But […]can only fondly remember […]peak years.  […]gets rejuvenation treatments, and replacement organs, but some of the creaks and pains of advanced age can no longer be remedied.  […]is in the autumn of life."

*narrow eyes and hurrumphs*
There are old soldiers.
And there are bold soldiers.
And then there’s:
John 'Century' Saxon

Solluk

• Reserved Player
  • Competent Member
  • Site Administrators
  • Captain Solluk's ID
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 02:07:40 pm »
Wonderful! Congratulations, Mister Molan-

*narrow eyes and hurrumphs*

LOL!  Definitely an inspired metaphor.  ;-)